Ultimaker Tough PLA
Ultimaker Tough PLA is a technical PLA (polylactic acid) material with a toughness similar to ABS. It is ideal for printing functional prototypes and tooling at larger sizes – without fear of delamination or warping. Our Tough PLA offers the same safe and easy use as regular PLA.
Reasons to choose Ultimaker Tough PLA
Our Tough PLA filament is formulated to be an easy-to-use technical plastic:
- Greater machinability than PLA allows more post-processing techniques
- Similar strength and higher stiffness compared to ABS
- No delamination or warping for reliable printing of larger parts
- Compatible with PVA and Breakaway support materials for full geometric freedom
Below are some key mechanical properties of Ultimaker Tough PLA:
- Good flexural strength (78 MPa)
- Good impact strength (Izod tested to 9 kJ/m²)
- High hardness (79 Shore D)
- Melting temperature (151 °C)
Ultimaker Tough PLA provides a durable material solution for:
- Functional prototyping
- Manufacturing aids
Ultimaker Tough PLA is officially supported by the Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3, and Ultimaker 3 series of 3D printers. It is compatible for dual extrusion with the following materials:
- Ultimaker Tough PLA
- Ultimaker PVA
- Ultimaker Breakaway
Example prints using Ultimaker Tough PLA
Create tough plastic parts
Tough PLA’s impact strength is closer to ABS than regular PLA. This means your 3D printed parts can be used for more functional applications, such as jigs, fixtures, and tools.
Optimized for large prints
When you need toughness in large models, Tough PLA is an easy-to-print and reliable material – ideal for 3D printing with the Ultimaker S5’s bigger build volume.
Achieve complex geometries
Designs with intricate curves, fine details, and overhangs can be easily printed with Tough PLA, especially when combined with Breakaway or water-soluble PVA support.